Tuesday 22 March 2011

Another bargain biscuit

My latest review is for a great cheap biscuit brand which I found...

I have been penny pinching when shopping again and more so when it comes to the biscuit isle. I have had a lot of success with the cheaper biscuits and my boys have enjoyed them so I thought I would give their Value milk chocolate digestive biscuits a go for a change.

~~PACKAGING~~

The biscuits come in a plastic wrapper which is white and blue in colour. The front has the Tesco Value logo on it and a picture showing some of the biscuits. On the reverse of the wrapper we have all of the product information including the ingredient and allergy advice. It is here that you can also find the nutritional values.

The ends of the wrapper are blue and they are quite hard to get open but there is a tear strip to one end of the packet which makes for easy opening.

~~APPEARANCE AND TASTE~~

The biscuits are a good size, they measure approximately 7cm and the widest point in the middle and are a round shape. They are not overly thick and measure roughly ½ a cm thick. The bottom of the biscuit is a golden brown colour which resembles a normal digestive biscuit and has the digestive name in the middle, there is also a small pattern around this. The top of the biscuit is covered in a lovely brown milk chocolate. There is a faint smell to the biscuits and this is a mixture of the wheat biscuit and the milk chocolate. It is nice ad always makes me feel like eating a biscuit when smelling it.

When it comes to eating the biscuits we do have fun, they taste great. I do enjoy the contrast of the crunchy crumbly biscuit against the smoothness of the chocolate. The biscuit has a very pleasant taste which is just like any other digestive. It does remind me a little of a wheat taste but it is good. The chocolate also tastes great as it is milk chocolate and not the dark variety. I have found there to be a good amount of chocolate on each of the biscuits and the whole things works well together. I do have to bite my biscuits as I am not able to fit them whole into my mouth like hubby an when doing so I do find they make a few crumbs. I am not overly bothered about this as I do find it easy to brush them off my clothes. Unfortunately my boys take smaller bits and therefore they do make even more crumbs which usually end up over the floor. I have started to give them their biscuits on a plate to cut down on the amount on the floor.

My boys do enjoy their biscuits but I have found that they have to hold the biscuit for longer than me and the chocolate does tend to melt on their finger but they don’t seem to care and have fun licking this off. The quicker the biscuit is eaten then the less chocolate on the finger.

I am not a tea drinker so I am not personally able to comment on how good they are for dunking but I have spoken to hubby about this and he says they are an average dunker. He says they don’t tend to go soggy to quickly and break off resulting in a sloppy mess at the bottom of the cup and the heat from the tea makes the chocolate melt which he enjoys as it is smoother when eating. He has said that his cup of tea does end up having a hint of chocolate though when he has dunked with these biscuits.

~~INFO~~

The biscuits come in a pack size of 300g and I find this to be good, there are roughly 25 biscuits in each pack but I cannot be exact as the packet I have is nearly empty.

The packaging is unfortunately not recyclable.

There are some allergy warnings on the pack of the packet and these include the fact that they contain milk, wheat, gluten and soya. The recipe is nut free and so to is the factory which these are produce in. Tesco cannot confirm that the ingredients are nut free though.

The ingredients are:-

Wheat flour, milk chocolate (23%), vegetable oil, sugar, wholemeal wheat flour, glucose-fructose syrup, raising agents (sodium bicarbonate, ammonium bicarbonate), salt

The milk chocolate contains, sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa mass, dried skimmed milk, whey powder, butteroil, emulsifier (soya lecithins, polyglycerol, polyricinoleate), vegetable fat, natural flavourings)

These biscuits are suitable for vegetarians.

It is best to store these biscuits in a cool dry place and away from sunlight. Once the packet is opened they need to be kept in an air tight container so they do not go stale. The shelf life is good and the latest packet we have has over 6 months on them.

The nutritional values for each biscuit are:-

Calories – 85
Sugar – 4.5g
Fat – 3.9g
Saturates – 2g
Salt – 0.1g

~~PRICE AND AVAILABILITY~~

These biscuits are part of the Tesco Value range so they are only available in their stores, other supermarkets do their own version of them though. They are priced at around 50p per packet which I feel is excellent value for money compared to the branded varieties.

~~RECOMMENDED?~~

I am more than happy to give these biscuits the full5 stars, they have a lovely rich taste which works well with the smooth chocolate and my boys love them. Hubby claims they are quite good for dunking too. They are cheap and cheerful and well worth trying. I think these would be an ideal extra for children’s parties or a lunch box or picnic treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment