Monday 28 March 2011

Rude and crude but oh so funny!

Get him to teh Greek is a film which I found hillarious, read my review for it....

Aaron Green works for a music company which is struggling and needs to come up with a big idea to raise money. Aaron comes up with the suggestion that they get old rocker, Aldous Snow to do an anniversary concert at the Greek. Aaron gets the gig and soon finds himself travelling to pick up Aldous for some press conferences and then the concert. Unfortunately Aldous is a typical rocker and is not impressed with being told what to do.

Aaron has a hard task ahead of him as all Aldous wants to do is party and have sex with women. They miss their first plane and have to fly in late to America to following day much to the disgust of Aaron’s boss. Aaron is warned that if Aldous does not get to the gig then he will loos his job.

Can Aaron get Aldous to the Greek and just what will he be subjected to along the way?

I have only given a very brief outline for the plot as I feel giving too much away will spoil it for those who may not have seen this film yet, but please do not think the film is as basic as I have made it out to be as it really isn’t and there is a lot to the story and an awful lot happens in the film. I did enjoy this film a lot of felt it was very funny. The story was good, not very original and the story is nothing exceptionally special but the way it is told to us with the humour is very entertaining and both me and hubby laughed out loud so many times when watching.

I have to admit that I am not a fan of Russell Brand and do find him very annoying but for some reason whenever I have watched him in a film I have found him to be excellent and easy to watch, this film was no exception. He played a great character who really did have a lot of issues, he was drugged up for the majority of the film and I felt this helped to add to the humour and he seemed to at easy playing the role. I liked the depth we got from him and thought it was good the way he did express emotions and felling as this made him easier to get to know and understand. He worked very well with Jonah Hill who played Aaron. He was a very different character, he was straight and wanted a simple life and had his world turned upside down by Aldous but he handled it all very well. I liked the way we got to know some background about him as I felt I got to know the way he thought and felt about new things. The chemistry between the pair was great and they had a good comedy timing when together on screen.

We did have some other very good actors in the film, P Diddy played a good role and I was quite surprised by how well he did, Elisabeth Moss played Aarons suffering girlfriend and the role which I was not keen on but was played well was that of Aldous’ father played by Colm Meaney.

There is a lot of humour in this film and I must say it is not going to be to everyone’s taste. It all involves drink, drugs and sex. There are times when we get a few good one liners but the majority of the humour comes from these three things. There are some very crude parts to the film which I was not overly keen on but for me the laughs did out weight these so I would not let them put you off from watching. I felt the comedy timing from all involved was excellent and they helped to make the gags more funny. We did have a lot of visual gags which were all done very well and I loved how Jonah Hill dealt with the ones he was given and felt he was a perfect choice for this role. He managed to try and play them straight faced which only added to the delivery.

The film does contain a lot of bad language and drug and sex references, we also have a few sex scenes so I do advise caution if you are easily offended or do not like watching people being sick on themselves. I do have to agree with the 15 rate on this film and say it is not at all suitable for the younger viewer. The running time of the film us 1 hour 45 minutes and I did find this to be a good length with the story moving at a steady pace throughout. The film can be bought on DVD fro around £5 now and I think this is a good price. This is a film only review so there are no bonus features to speak about.

I am more than happy to give this film the full 5 stars despite the few issues I had with it. I really can’t remember the last time a film made me laugh as much as this one did. The acting was great and Brand really did surprise me again by being so good. This is certainly a film to watch if you are not easily offended but again I advise caution if you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment