Sunday 20 March 2011

Would you want him as your Father???

New post is a film review for Old Dogs, a superb family film full of great acting and laughs...

Charlie and Dan have been friends since school, they are now business partners and on the verge of a massive deal. Charlie has helped Dan though a big divorce and tried to get him to move on with is life. He took him on holiday to Miami and it was here that he fell in love with another woman and on an impulse they got married, fortunately they managed to get the marriage annulled.

Dan thinks a lot about his short marriage and the feelings he had at this time and gets a shock when he receives a call from Vicky asking him to meet her. Dan is thrilled as he believes she wants to give their relationship another go but this is not the case. Dan gets the shock of his life when she announces that she is going to prison for 2 weeks and he needs to look after their twins which are now 7 years old. Dan had no idea he was a father and has not got a clue on how to look after children but he does agree to look after them and try to become their father.

Charlie is not happy with this decision as they are about to make a very important deal but he does agree to help Dan. Can Dan become a father to his children and can they still manage to get the deal which will make them very wealthy men?

I had not heard of this film before I noticed it on Sky Movies and as it starred two very good actors and sounded quite fun both me and hubby decided to give it a watch. I was not aware of the fact this was a children’s film before starting to watch but I have to say we thoroughly enjoyed it. I think more so as it was for the younger audience so this meant I did not have to concentrate very hard on the story to be able to follow what was happening. I did enjoy the story and find it was very good and this was only helped by the acting and the humour which they bought to it.

The role of Dan was played by Robin Williams and I was pleased that he moved away from his daft characters and actually made this one more normal and sensible. Hew as strong and confident with matters concerning work but he became such a mess when having to deal with his children. It was obvious he had no idea of how to be a father and as a result we did get a lot of humour from this side of his character. He delivered all of his lines well and made them all believable and I found there to be a great chemistry between him and on screen partner Charlie. Charlie was played by John Travolta and he to did a great job. He was more of a stricter character and had no intention of being a father, I enjoyed seeing him warm to the children and change as the story moved on. He was strong and delivered his lines with ease to. There was a good connection between both Dan and Charlie and I loved how they managed to bounce off each other with ease and none of the one liners seemed forced or unnatural. The two children were played by good little actors but I felt they could have given slightly more to the roles and have been features with more speaking lines. As it was they seemed to fade into the background for the majority of the film.

The film is modern so no real effort was needed for the costumes or sets in the film, I felt they all fitted very well and I even enjoyed the setting for the film. We had some very different places featured in the film and none of them were very child friendly. I found the apartment of Charlie to be quite fun and I loved how Dan took over and had the baby proof team in, they bought quite a lot of humour to the story. The sets were all well made and shown in a good light. We did have some outside scenes in the film and they too were good and in keeping with the story. The music was good and quite modern and I felt it all fitted and worked very well. It was not an amazing soundtrack and not one which I would go out and buy but it did fit the film well.

There is a lot of humour in the film and both me and hubby had a few good laughs, I was please William had moved away from the daft face pulling and the daft element of comedy as he did make me laugh a lot in the film. The majority of the gags were spoken ones for the beginning of the film but as it moved on we did get a few more visual ones. I think all of the actors worked well and had perfect comedy timing. There is enough humour to appeal to both the young and older audience in this film. I would say that being in a light mood will make this film seem funnier.

This is a film only review so there are no DVD extras to speak about. The DVD can be bought fro around the £5 mark and I do feel this is a fair price. The running time of the film is 88 minutes and I think this is a suitable length and there is enough in the film to keep the younger audience entertained and interested right till the very end. The rate is a PG and I do agree with this, there is nothing offensive about the film at all.

I am more than happy to give this film a good recommendation. The story was good although not very original, it had great acting and a lot of good funny moments. It appeals to all ages and overall it deserves a good solid 4 stars. Definitely worth watching when you want a nice light funny film.

No comments:

Post a Comment