Wednesday 9 March 2011

Bargain Biscuits!

New post up for Tesco Value Chocolate Chip cookies, a real bargain...

I am trying to reduce my weekly shopping bill at the moment so we have downgraded a lot of out products and one in particular is the biscuits which we buy. We have had great success in buying the value range for other types of biscuits so I had no problems when doing so with the cookies.

~~PACKAGING~~

The cookies we bought are Tesco’s Value chocolate chip cookies and they come in a white packet which is a cylinder shape, at the ends there are blue sections. In the middle in the Tesco value logo and the product name and behind this is a pictures showing what the cookies look like. On the back of the packaging you can find all of the relevant information about the cookies, the ingredients, nutritional values and allergy advise.

~~APPEARANCE AND TASTE~~

The cookies look no different from the branded ones which can be bought. They are round in shape and a nice light golden colour. The measure approximately 5cm wide by 0.7cm think. On the cookies you can see small dark brown bits, these are the chocolate chips and the appearance of them does differ from each cookie.

When it comes to eating the biscuits I find that they are easy to fit into my mouth whole, therefore cutting down on crumbs, for my boys they are not able to do this so they have to bit them. The amount of crumbs we get from the cookies is actually quite good, they make much less mess than other biscuits. I did find that the biscuits are slightly harder than other cookies but I still manage to bit them when needed. When I bite into them I notice immediately the lovely richness of the biscuit, this is very pleasant and made even more so when I get to a chocolate chip. The chocolate chips taste good and the contrast between the hard biscuit and the soft chocolate works very well together. The chocolate chips and milk chocolate and taste very nice.

For me I am only able to east about 5 of these in on sitting as they do end to get slightly dry after this amount. When only one or two are eaten they are not at all dry but after a few this is the case. I also find I get bits of biscuits stuck in my teeth as I have a tendency to stuck the biscuits so I can find all of the chocolate chips. This is only a negative for me and hubby does not have this problem. He does not find them dry even after eating half a packet as he dunks them in his cups of tea. He commented on how they are easy to dunk and you don’t have to worry about them breaking off or going to soggy or then again being the other way and drinking half of his cup of tea.

~~INFORMATION ~~

There is some allergy advise on the packet for these cookies and it stated that there cookies contain milk, wheat, gluten and soya so they are not recommended for these allergy sufferers. The recipe does not contain nuts but Tesco cannot guarantee that these have been made using nut free ingredient.

The ingredients for the cookies are:-

Wheat, flour, vegetable fat, sugar, chocolate chips (6%), whey powder, partially inverted sugar syrup, raising agent (Sodium bicarbonate, ammonium bicarbonate), salt, natural flavouring,
Chocolate chips contain, sugar, cocoa mass, vegetable fat, cocoa butter, emulsifier (soya lecithins)

The nutritional value for each individual cookie are:-

Calories – 55
Sugar – 2.8g
Fat – 2.5g
Saturates – 1.2g
Salt – trace

Once the cookies have been opened they should be stored in an air tight container to stop them from going hard. They do have a best before date on the packet and on the on which I bought last night the shelf life is 5 months, there is no chance they will last this long in my house though!

~~PRICE AND AVAILABILITY~~

These cookies are a Tesco Value product so they can only be bought in their store, they can be found in the biscuit isle ad are priced at 40p per packet. The packet contains roughly 25 cookies so I do think this is excellent value for money. The branded cookies care half the pack size and over twice the price.

~~RECOMMENDED?~~

I am happy to give these a good recommendation and a good 4 stars. I have dropped one star as I do find they are slightly dry after a few of them and I do think they could benefit from having a few more chocolate chips in them. My boys love these cookies and hubby says they are a good dunking biscuit so I will continue to buy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment