Tuesday 8 March 2011

Worth watching just for the soundtrack!

My latest post is a review for the film Pulp Fiction, this is a great film with excellent acting...

Mob boss Marsellus Wallace has two hit men working for him out to retrieve a suitcase. Jules and Vincent are quite different from each other but work well and always get the job done. Hey are ruthless and hard hitting and have some fun along the way.

Boxing star Butch Collidge is asked by Marsellus to take a dive for a price but unfortunately he does not do this and so he has to go on the run. His life is now in danger from Marsellus and his hit men.

These men all come together along the way and we get some explosive action as their lives intertwine and not all survive. Just who will make it and who will not?

I did find it very hard to give a decent plot summary for this film as I did not want to give too much of the story away for those who have not seen the film. Do not think that the film is as basic as I have made it out to be above as this is not the case and we do have some pretty good stored in the film and some excellent characters too. I did find the story quite easy to follow fort he majority of the film although there were a few timing issues towards the end where we would go right back to the start of the film but once I realised what was happening I was able to follow with ease. The stories are very good and I enjoyed seeing how they all came together and were connected slightly. I think this film was such a big hit as it starred some very good actors and I don’t think it would have been as good if lesser know actors were used.

The two lead roles in the film were that of the hit men, they were played by John Travolta and Samuel L Jackson. I loved how different these men were, Travolta was more of the hit them first and then ask questions whilst Jackson was more of a speak first guy. They managed to bounce off ach other very well and the chemistry between them was excellent. They both delivered all of their lines with ease and they were a few moments when they gave some good one liners which bought a slight element of humour to the film. They seemed at ease with the action scenes and the use of guns and I did enjoy watching them on screen together. We also had Bruce Willis in the role of the boxer, he too was very good and I thought he managed to bring a different perspective to the film, he was the one being chased not the chaser. He was strong and managed to convince me of his character. I did find he seemed a little too cocky in places but it was good when he did show an element of being scared as this made he seem more human.

We had some other good actors in the film in slightly smaller parts and some of the actors included, Tim Roth, Ving Rhames, Phil LaMarr and Amanda Plummer. They all played quite different roles and I enjoyed the diversity they bought to the story as it seemed to give it a little depth.

I did have a few issues with the film, one story in particular was not enjoyable, this was the one which features the boxer and what happened when he met Marsellus. I felt that this had been taken slightly too far and I really did not need to see this on screen let alone have it in so much detail as we got. I am not revealing fully what it involved but those who have seen the film will understand the parts I am referring to. The remainder of the stories were good and I think despite the fact there was a little too much action they were still entertaining and good to watch.

The music was a big part of this film for me and I love the whole soundtrack, we had a lot of well known and iconic songs played and I was having to stop myself from singing along to them, hubby was not impressed when I did sing! I think the soundtrack is definitely worth buying even if you have not watched the film as it is packed with some big singers and songs.

There is a lot of action in the film and I thought it was all produced and created to a very high standard considering the age of this film. The gun all looked authentic and so to did the shooting. I thought the stunts were also very good and they fitted extremely well into the film. The props and costumes were also good and in keeping with the film. The fact that this film was made in 1994 did not make it look dated and I think it is still able to stand up in today’s market.

I am only reviewing the film so there are no bonus features to speak about. The running time of the film is 154 minutes and although this may seem very long, I did loose track of the time and got very engrossed in the story. The rate is an 18 and I full agree with this as there are some very gruesome scenes and the nature of some of them were quite disturbing. There is a lot of swearing and violence so this is most definitely not for the younger audience. The DVD can be bought from a variety of shops and it is priced under £5 now which I think to be a good reasonable price.

I am happy to recommend this film and give it a solid 4 stars. I have dropped one as I felt one storyline went too far, the remainder of the film was great to watch and the acting was excellent. I think this film is worth a watch just for the soundtrack anyway. Definitely recommended by both me and hubby.

No comments:

Post a Comment