Tuesday 29 March 2011

Nut up or shut up!

Zombieland is a film which did surprise me and I did enjoy it, here is my review of it....

America has been taken over by Zombie but a young boy called Columbus has survived. He lives by his 30 rules and travels in search of finding other humans and some of his family. He is quite a shy boy and lacks power and strength, he spent most of his college days before the zombies in his room too scared to make friends.

Columbus manages to find a car and sets off in search of family but along the way he has an accident and meets Tallahasse, another human who hides from the zombie. Tallahasse is ruthless and hard, the total opposite of Columbus but they do strike up a friendship and they decide to stick together. The pair set off again on their travels, Tallahasses is on his own mission, he needs a twinkie, and soon they arrive at a supermarket and decide to go inside to get some supplies.

It is at the supermarket that they meet with a frightened girl who says her sister has been bitten by a zombie, the men go off to investigate and soon discover that one of them has to shoot the younger girl before she turns into a zombie.

Can they really shoot this young girl and if not what will the outcome be. Will any of the humans ever find a safe zombie free place to live?

I had never really been interested in watching this film but as it came on the comedy film channel and I needed a good fun film to watch both me and hubby decided to give it a go. I was actually surprised by the film and ended up quite enjoying it. I found that the story was good, although there seemed nothing new about it at all and it was lacking in depth but I found it worked well with the comedy that was added to it and I enjoyed what we had on offer.

The acting was good and the lead role of Columbus was played by Jesse Eisenberg. He was a good choice for the role as he had a good geeky look which suited the type of character he was trying to portray. He managed to deliver all of his lines with ease and I felt I got to know a good amount about him. I like the way we got a few flash backs to before the Zombies took over as this gave his character a little depth. He came across at times as a frightened little boy and I felt he turned to the role of Tallahasses to be a father figure to him and I think this worked well. The role of Tallahasses was played by Woody Harrelson and I found him to be a great addition to the cast. He looked mean and moody and I found the appearance was good. He managed to show other sides as the film moved on and he handled them all very well. He did sort of take on a fatherly role of Columbus and it was nice to watch at times. I did have a few issues when he was fighting and dealing with the zombies as he seemed a little unsure with the weapons but for me I think this helped with the humour of the film.

We had two other very good strong roles in the film and the stand out one for me was that of Abigail Breslin, she took the role of Little Rock, she was very old for her age and I loved how she had adapted to the new way of life. She certainly is turning out to be a fine young actress. I found the surprise appearance from Bill Murray was also a nice one and I felt he bought a lot to the film.

The setting for the film was America and we travelled around a lot. There was a lot of the film set on the road and as a result we did get some lovely scenery shots, these were slightly disrupted with abandoned cars and accident at times but overall I enjoyed them. We do go into a few places, including a supermarket a house and some outside areas and I found the sets to be of a good high standard and fitted well into the film. We do also have a lot of make up effects and CGI in the film and it was all great and enjoyable to watch. I did find the appearance of some of the zombies to be quite horrid at times but once I had seen a few of them they all seemed to look alike after and did not scare me. I did also jump a few times when zombie shot out from behind things and hubby found this hilarious.

The music was good and fitting for the film but it was nothing exceptionally special and not a soundtrack I would buy to listen to without the film. I felt it could have been stronger and a few more well known tracks played. I did enjoy the Ghostbusters theme being played and found this fitted in very well with the scene it was in.

This is a film only review so there are no bonus features to speak about. The running time of the film is 88 minutes and I did find this to be a good length, the story moved at a steady pace from that to finish and although it seems a short film I felt it would have been dragged out too much had the run time been lengthened. The rate of the film is a 15 and I do agree with this, we have lots of scenes of zombies eating people and killing and I think some of them do actually look quite scary, there is also a little swearing and I do agree with this rate. The DVD can now be bought from on line for under £5 and I do think this is a fair price.

I am going to recommend this film as both me and hubby enjoyed it. The story was good although not original and nothing very special, the acting was good and I felt there was just enough humour to give this film a good 4 stars. I would not recommend paying more than £5 for the DVD or even better would be to catch this for free whilst it is still on Sky movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment