Thursday 17 March 2011

Eases thoses aches and pains

After getting a few muscle strains from going to the gym and pushing myself hubby suggested that I tried some Deep Heat to help ease the pain. Off I went to Tesco but fortunately I spotted Tesco’s own make of Deep Heat as I was not prepared to pay the price of the branded versions of this. I had the choice of spray or cream but only the cream came in the cheaper Tesco own brand so this is what I opted for.

~~PACKAGING~~

The cream comes in a cardboard box which is white and orange in colour. The product name and Tesco logo is easy to spot on it and there is a picture of shoulders with cream being rubbed into them on the 3 sides. The back of the box has the product information and a brief description on how to use it, there are also some warnings and the crams ingredients.

Inside the box is the tube of cream, this is again white and orange and has a red screw cap. The same information which is on the box can also be found on the back of the tube. We get an instruction leaflet inside the box too which again has direction for use, the warnings and ingredients on. I find this is a slight waste of paper as we already have these details twice. The screw cap is very simple to use and only requires a few turns for it to come off.

~~USE AND RESULTS~~

The cream really is very simple to use. When you buy the cream the first use will require you to break the seal, there is a small covering of silver foil over the end of the cream tube and without doing this the cream will not come out. I did find I have to pierce this as there us no tab for me to be able to pull it off. The neck of the tube is wide enough fro you to be able to use the tip of a pair of scissors on this. Once this has been done the cream is easy to squeeze out onto the hand. The cream is to be rubbed into the aching or sore muscles and left. This is to be done 2-3 times a day. Only a small 5 pence coin size is needed for the average use as a little does go a long way.

When I first used this cream on my knee and calf I instantly noticed the feeling of warmth, this is not always the case though and for subsequent uses I have noticed that it can take up to 5 minutes for me to get this feeling. The cream is very easy to rub into the skin as it is not overly thick, it is a white colour and a good consistency which is not greasy or runny. The skin absorbed the cream almost instantly and it did not need a lot of massaging to get it to do so. The warmth is a strange feeling at first, it feels as if someone has placed a hot flannel or cloth on the area and it did take me a few seconds to get used to it, there is no worry about the feeling becoming a burning one as it never gets this hot.

The one downside to the cream is the smell, it is very strong. I cannot pin point the smell but it smell strongly or disinfectant and other things, those of us who have used deep heat will know the smell I am referring to as it is the smell with this cream. The smell is a little over powering at first but after a few minutes it does dull down slighty. The smell does not fully go away and when wearing the cream I am still able to smell it for up to an hour later. As a result of the strong smell it does stay on the hands. I find I have to wash them at least twice after applying the cream for it to go, a lot of soap is also needed to help remove the smell. I would not advise applying this cream in a small room or you will be overpowered by the smell, a well ventilated or airy room is needed.

The results I got from this cream really make the smell a small factor. I noticed after my first application that just a few minutes later the muscles felt more relaxed and the pain had dulled right down, even though I do not get the warmth straight away on all uses the pain goes and they ease a lot. I have used this on other body muscles including the top of my arm and my shoulder and have had equally good results.

I find I am able to carry on with less pain and restriction from applying this cream twice daily, I don’t feel the need to use more, I would say that showering or bathing after this cream will require a new application as it seems to All disappear when washed.

~~INFO~~

The cream comes in a tube which is 35g is size, I have been using this regularly for 2 weeks now and still have over half of the tube left so it does last. There is a good 2 year shelf life on this cream which means it is a good product to keep in a first aid box.

The cream is only to be used on adults or children over the age of 5 and it is for external use only. There are some warnings which include consulting your doctor before use if you are pregnant or breast feeding, not to be used if you are allergic to any of the ingredients or are asthmatic.

The ingredients for the cream include:-

Menthol 5.91% w/w, Eucalyptus Oil 1.97% w/w, Methyl Salicylate 12.80% w/w, Turpentine Oil 1.47% w/w, Sodium cetostearyl sulphate, cetostearyl alcohol, propylene glycol, wool fat (lanolin), liquid paraffin, dowicil 200 and water.

~~PRICE AND AVAILABILITY~~

This heat rub cream is a Tesco own brand so it is only available in their stores. It comes with a price tag of just under £2 which is less than half the price of the other branded creams. I think this is excellent value for money as the cream works well and lasts for a good amount of time.

~~RECOMMENDED?~~

I have had great results from using this cream on all different types of muscle strains and pulls. I think for the price tag it is definitely worth having in all first aid boxes. Why pay more when this is just as good as the leading brands. Definitely a full 5 stars from me despite the strong and nasty smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment